Followers

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

X is for Dos Equis XX Bread and Onion Rings



I'm not going to lie. X was a challenge. Seriously, unless you speak Chinese, there are just not many foods that begin with X. I was strolling through the grocery store, looking for anything that would fill the bill, when I happened to walk near the beer coolers. And what did I see? Not one X, but two! Dos Equis XX. I felt like a chef on Chopped! How can I use this ingredient? Then I remembered beer makes a great batter, so I decided to offer you two recipes for the two X's, first a beer bread and then some crunchy beer battered onion rings. Try one or both!

  XX Beer Bread


3 cups self rising flour (sifted)
1/2 cup sugar
12 oz. beer (XX or beer of your choice)
1/4 cup butter (melted)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a loaf pan. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and beer. Pour into loaf pan.



Pour melted butter over batter and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.  



Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving. 


XX Battered Onion Rings


2 large onions, sliced into rings
1 cup all purpose flour + a little extra
1 cup beer 

Toss sliced onions in a small amount of flour and set aside.
Combine 1 cup beer and 1 cup flour in a separate bowl, cover and let rest for 1 hour.
Dip onion rings in batter and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.


So, there you have it...two X-tra easy recipes! Enjoy!

Three Friends and a Fork
Three Friends and a Fork

This is a short biography of the post author. Maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus donec vitae sapien ut libero venenatis faucibus nullam quis ante maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus donec.

4 comments:

  1. OMG - those onion rings look positively dangerous! So what is "self-rising flour?" Does it have baking powder in it or yeast? I'm not supposed to eat baker's yeast, but I can't imagine flour with yeast in it. Anyhow, I may have to do some research because it would be really nice to find some sort of bread I could actually have besides sourdough, and if there's beer in it, all the better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self rising flour has baking powder and salt, no yeast. We love sourdough, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for the recipes! I emailed your blog post to myself so that I can make the onion rings recipe.

    Precious Monsters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beer battered fish is the bomb! Especially catfish.yum-O
    A to Z blogger

    ReplyDelete