Followers

Monday, April 6, 2015

D is for Deviled Eggs

D is for Deviled Eggs




Southerners love sweet tea, grits, pimento cheese and deviled eggs. And not just any of those foods will do. They must be made using the best ingredients and carefully crafted. The deviled eggs must be filled with a creamy, not lumpy, yolk, slightly sweet, but not too sweet. Dill pickles, sweet pickles, celery and other ingredients are often added to the creamy yolk. Some of the best deviled eggs I have ever had were from Saffire in Franklin, TN.  Saffire's deviled eggs were smoked and then the creamy yolk was topped with a rooster pepper remoulade. I have no idea what a rooster pepper remoulade is, except that I know it is delicious! The devilish little eggs came with some pickled carrots, which was a perfect compliment to the smoky, peppery eggs.

Deviled eggs are one of those things we always have to have for our Easter dinner. I wasn't up to learning how to smoke deviled eggs for Easter this year, but I did decide to try a new recipe. I found a recipe for chive and caper deviled eggs online. It sounded promising, so I gave it a shot. I love the briny taste of capers. In the eggs, however, I thought it was overpowering. I threw the entire batch of eggs out and started all over again, using my tried and true recipe. I really should have known better! Here's my recipe below, if you are interested in a no frills, no funny business recipe that always gets gobbled up.

Southern Deviled Eggs

12 boiled eggs
4 T. mayonnaise
2 T. softened butter
1 T. sweet pickles, finely chopped
1 T. dill pickles, finely chopped
2 t. sugar
1/4 t. ground mustard
1 t. Busha Browne's Pukka Hot Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel the eggs and cut in half. Remove the yolks and push them through a fine strainer. Add the remaining ingredients to the yolks and stir to combine. Using a pastry bag, fill the egg whites with the yolk mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and top with a piece of diced pimento.

Check out more A-Z Challenge blogs here.
Three Friends and a Fork
Three Friends and a Fork

This is a short biography of the post author. Maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus donec vitae sapien ut libero venenatis faucibus nullam quis ante maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus donec.

1 comment:

  1. These eggs sound delicious. I am always looking for ways to use my excess eggs. Thank you,.
    Carolyn @ pastimes-passions-paraphernalia.org

    ReplyDelete