Followers

Monday, March 9, 2015

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies to Feed a Crowd



The day my son called from college and asked if he could bring a few of his fraternity brothers home, I was, first, thrilled that my child was coming home and, second, excited to meet some of his new friends. Then he asked if forty-two would be too many. Forty-two? Forty-two fraternity boys? For the entire weekend? Well, sure, why not!

Rounding up 42 brothers was difficult, so we are missing a few in this picture, but the dog was well behaved!

As it turned out, that weekend was also the weekend that we buried our precious friend, Sherri. How Sherri would have hooted to hear that I was going to feed forty-two fraternity brothers for an entire weekend! And, did I mention the fraternity brothers were bringing one dog. I really did not know about the dog until they arrived. Additionally, that same weekend, our cross country team was hosting an invitational. My younger son was running and I was expected to help the other cross country parents host the meet. 

When I am faced with things that seem overwhelming to me, I tend to compartmentalize and deal with one thing at a time. So, that is exactly what I did on this weekend. First, my sweet college boy had asked if I would make wings for dinner when they arrived. So, Friday night was 450 hot, grilled chicken wings, baked beans, cheese grits and Texas sheet cake. It looked like we had invited piranhas for dinner. The only things left were bones. 

Saturday morning dawned bright and early as I headed to the cross country meet to watch my child race. Thankfully, some of the other parents stepped up and took my responsibilities for the meet so I could leave as soon as my child's race was over. I watched my boy run and then went straight to Sherri's funeral. After we said our emotional goodbyes to Sherri, I raced back to the house to concentrate on my visitors once more. Dinner Saturday night was pulled pork barbecue, 150 cheesy potato skins, potato salad, more baked beans and some of the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. 

My friend, Lavinia, who always has my back, sent the chocolate chip cookies for the hungry mob. You may remember Lavinia from our trip to Somewhere on the Lake or The Sicilian. As soon as she handed me the cookies I snatched one for myself before setting them out for the boys. It is a good thing, too. They were gone before I could blink. I wasn't surprised. Lavinia's cookies were delicious and I was kicking myself for not hiding a few more of them. 

I have been thinking about those delicious cookies ever since, so the other day I called Lavinia and begged for her recipe. I also asked her if I could share it here. Not only is Lavinia one of the best friends I have ever had, she is also one of the best cooks I know. Her style of cooking is much like her personality, warm and inviting. Lavinia can make you feel like you are the most important person in the world and her food is always comforting and lovingly prepared. She meticulously uses the best and freshest ingredients and she is an expert in southern comfort cuisine.  She is also generous. She readily shared her recipe with me and gave me her blessing to share it here. 

I know you are going to love these cookies. They combine the best of a chocolate chip cookie with the chewiness of an oatmeal cookie. I think they are amazing, just like my friend. This recipe makes a ton, which is convenient when you are feeding a fraternity! I used a small ice cream scoop and got ninety cookies. 

CHOCOLATE CHIP/OATMEAL COOKIES

1.  Blend together:
4 sticks softened butter
2 C granulated sugar
2 C brown sugar

2.  Add 4 eggs (one at a time, blending after each)


3.  Add: 2 tsp vanilla



4.  Add the following (blended together):
4 C all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt



5.  Stir in:
2 (12 oz) packages chocolate chips (I like the dark chocolate)
2 C chopped nuts
3 1/2-4 C oats (I use either quick cook or old fashioned oats or a combination of both)


Place heaping tablespoons of dough on parchment lined cookie sheets. I like to use a small ice cream scoop. Leave two inches between balls of dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes.  



Notes:  
*may add 12 oz chunk chocolate
*don’t overcook; check after 9 minutes
*make cookies large - use heaping tablespoons of cookie dough



Three Friends and a Fork wish for each of you a true friend, like Lavinia, and lots of fun with your children and their friends...no matter how many of them show up!


Printable Recipe




Three Friends and a Fork
Three Friends and a Fork

This is a short biography of the post author. Maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus donec vitae sapien ut libero venenatis faucibus nullam quis ante maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus donec.

3 comments:

  1. 42 college boys? You're one tough lady haha. Those cookies sound so good! I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lisa. We miss Sherri every day. Oddly, all those boys helped me get through a really sad weekend. I've alwa loved having my childrrn and their friends around. The cookies are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for stopping by tagsthoughts.com ~ these cookies look like a MUST TRY. Pinning them now. :)

    ReplyDelete